Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day

by Rod Barnes

When I think of New Year’s Day
I think of years gone by
Of Christmases and seasons gone
And memories so nigh

I think about the tree right here
I’m about to unadorn
And how it must have been for it
To grow the years before

Of all the reaching, stretching, growing
All spent to reach this day
And how my life is so much like
That Christmas tree today

From small to large my growth has come
With ups and downs in life
I’ve tried so hard to reach my place
Through seasons, pain, and strife

The one thing that I know for sure
About this life I’ve led
Is that my God has always been
Just one small step ahead

He saw the picture from beyond
Before I was conceived
And even though I didn’t know
Or even yet believed

He put me down in fertile soil
And watered me with love
He sent me angels to guide me through
With power from above

The ones He put around my life
Were precious and sincere
To help me reach and stretch and grow
Until His day appears

And like that tree I one day soon
Will reach my final days
And stand in glory of His light
To sparkle in His ways

But when my season comes to end
He’ll take me from my place
And sit me down in perfect peace
Eternity in grace

So when I look upon these days
The year that’s up and coming
I have to think about His plan
And beat that He is drumming

I’ll stretch and reach and grow some more
Keep looking to the sky
To catch the tinsel He has thrown
Upon my branches high

Then one day soon he will return
To take me from my stand
And place me safely in His love
The final chapter planned

No comments:

Post a Comment